Michelle Rosalyn Matthews
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Michelle Rosalyn Matthews

A forum for all of my friends and acquaintances to meet and discuss personal life, animation, gaming, and politics.

You are not connected. Please login or register

Chess - Is it a sport?

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Chess - Is it a sport? Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:46 pm

Stephen

Stephen

Even though I'm an avid chess player, I don't believe Chess is a sport. There's no other sport remotely like it, and for a game to qualify as a sport, it needs to be physically based. What do you think?

2Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:34 am

Flammie

Flammie

Sporting, Sports, Sportable...

Means what you're doing can be competable in any way desired, i doesn't have to be a physically a sport, but we also have the olympic game "Archery" wich doesn't have much of that strength and endurance you need, as precisions and strength enough to hold to bow is the only requirements needed to win...

Chess is all mind, making it able to be a mind-sportable game, making your mind/brain working in full speed, there every solution is possible by making one specific move...

3Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:40 am

Michelle

Michelle
Admin

I like to think of chess as a recreational strategy game.

http://www.missmichellematthews.blogspot.com

4Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:04 pm

Flammie

Flammie

Brain is a muscle as well, and every muscle can be practiced in every way possible, if you can't have visable muscles, then show your inner muscles Wink

5Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:00 pm

Stephen

Stephen

Flammie wrote:Sporting, Sports, Sportable...

Means what you're doing can be competable in any way desired, i doesn't have to be a physically a sport, but we also have the olympic game "Archery" wich doesn't have much of that strength and endurance you need, as precisions and strength enough to hold to bow is the only requirements needed to win...

Chess is all mind, making it able to be a mind-sportable game, making your mind/brain working in full speed, there every solution is possible by making one specific move...

You're pretty much saying every game is a sport. <_< For a game to qualify as a sport, it needs to have a physical component pushing you to a phycical limit that can be visualized. That's what sets Archery and Chess apart, for example.

6Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:09 am

Flammie

Flammie

Stephen wrote:You're pretty much saying every game is a sport. <_< For a game to qualify as a sport, it needs to have a physical component pushing you to a phycical limit that can be visualized. That's what sets Archery and Chess apart, for example.

A Staring Contest have a physical limits of withdrawing yourself from blinking, notify that a huge portion of the human body is basicly Muscles, so telling what is "Physical" is near impossible... Surprised

7Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:14 pm

Stephen

Stephen

By physical limit I mean movement as well. There is minimal movement in a staring contest.

8Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:28 pm

Flammie

Flammie

When you sleep you have to breath, When you sit, you have to use your balance to not fall off, when you're laying down, you need energy to not fall asleep etc...

Everything is needing energy or some sort of motion to work, otherwise you're just a dead body, wich can't do nothing more but rot...

9Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:59 pm

Stephen

Stephen

I looked up the meaning of sport and a sport must push you to both a physical and mental limit. Unless a high number of people find moving a chess piece difficult, chess does not qualify as a sport.

10Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:00 am

Flammie

Flammie

Armless people, Blind people, Glass Bodies...

There are a lot of things that difficults things for chess players anyway...

11Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:35 pm

Stephen

Stephen

Disabled athletes do not count.

12Chess - Is it a sport? Empty Re: Chess - Is it a sport? Sun Jan 31, 2010 3:31 pm

Flammie

Flammie

I'm out of horrible excuses why Chess would be a sport xD

It's still a logical sport where you have to find a way to manipulate the opponents move, by moving your own...

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum